Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I Knew I Loved You

I usually am not the sort of person who runs out to buy the latest book as soon as it comes out. Quite the contrary, I'm usually the one who flips through the book at the bookstore, borrows my friend's copy and checks out finished projects on the web before I hand over my hard earned money to own a book. However, as soon as I heard that Veronik Avery had a book coming out, I had to have it. I have only knit one of her patterns before (Polka Purl Dots from Interweave Knits Spring 2004), but I love every design of hers that I have seen. I got Knitting Classic Style a couple of weeks ago, but here is the review.



This book is beautifully produced. It has gorgeous pictures that display the knits beautifully. It was edited by Melanie Falick and is beautifully organized like Interweave Knits (my favorite mag!). You can see the layout of the pages in the picture above.


The pattern above is for the warm shawl pictured to the right. It is knit in my favorite yarn: Blue Sky Alpaca and Silk. It is easy to knit, but the results are stunning.


The three patterns below are among my favorites. From top to bottom: Bias Shell, Latvian Fingerless Mitts, and Layered Skater's Top. These patterns are classic, but modern at the same time.




I really like that there are patterns for men that come in smaller sizes. DNA is a small man and in this sexy vest below actually comes in a 34" size that would fit him perfectly. The men's patterns in this book are also masculine and in styles that a real man would wear.


I am really impressed with this book. It was worth every penny!

3 comments:

Stef said...

The designs you've posted look great. I'm going to have to check this one out next time I go to the bookstore, if only to look at the men's patterns. Thanks for the heads up!

Olga said...

I'm the same way...I'm cheap with my money and I have to really commit to a book before I buy it. There's got to be at least 3 designs that I would want to knit. Veronik Avery is one of my favorites, too! I hadn't heard about this book, so thanks for the review. The nice thing about the men's small sizes is that you can knit them for girls.

Sourire11 said...

I'm the same way with knitting books... I have to be sure I love it before I buy it... and I usually also take them out of the library for awhile and stalk them first. That book looks completely worth it, though!