Saturday, August 18, 2007

Perfect Little Secret

Today, there will be three confessions.

Confession #1: Every time I'm about to finish a project, I have a little panic attack. These are the thoughts that run through my head: "Oh no! It's going to be too small!"; "No, no! It's going to be too big!"; "What if I didn't notice that I completely messed up the stitch pattern one inch into it and find out I have to rip the whole thing back?"; "What if it makes me look seven months pregnant?"(I wouldn't want my mother-in-law to get her hopes up!). This scenario is exactly what happened when I was about to finish the Retro Redux Shrug from Lace Style. (OK, not the pregnant part of it!) It turns out that I didn't need to worry. It fits me perfectly. I love this pattern. The collar is knit with short rows to bring up the neck so that you can fold it back. How cool!


Vital Stats:
Pattern: Retro Redux Shrug by Mercedes Tarasovich-Clark from Lace Style
Yarn: GGH Bali, 2 balls
Needles: 7, 8, 9, and 10
Modifications: I cast on for the medium size, but knit the length for the small size.

Confession #2: Even though I have been knitting for almost 8 years, I have never knit intarsia. To be honest, I was a little scared. All that twisting of yarns and keeping them from tangling! Well, my oldest friend just told me she's having a baby and I decided to knit a baby version of the Mod-on-Mod Afghan from Yarnplay for her. So, now I have finally conquered intarsia. It really isn't that bad. I think the two squares I have so far look pretty good!


Confession #3: When I started a blog, I was terrified that I would never be able to come up with creative titles for my posts. So, I copied the producers of one of my favorite TV shows, Grey's Anatomy. Every episode is named after a song title. This strategy seemed like a brilliant idea at the time (although not ALL of my titles have been from songs). Recently on the Grey's Anatomy podcast, the producers admitted that it was really difficult to come up with song titles after a while. I have noticed a similar problem. I know that eventually I will fall off the wagon. So, I'm going to have a little contest. The first person to e-mail me after the next time I fail to use a song title for a blog post will receive a prize that is yet to be determined. Yes, this a ploy to get you to read my blog regularly!

8 comments:

Melinda said...

Ah, I figured out the song title link a couple of posts ago. I'll be watching. . . :) So, I love your shrug but need shrug wearing instructions -- I can't think of a use beyond strapless dresses (which I never wear.)

Brenda said...

The shrug looks great! And congratulations on figuring out how to do intarsia without holes. I've only done it once in the beginning knitting class I took, and I made a fish with two tails. I've been too chicken since. I like the colors for the blanket!

I'm awful on song titles, but I'll try to figure it out.

Laura said...

Aha! A skill contest!

Your Retro Redux looks so cute. It almost makes me want to step away from the sewing machine. LOL!

Unknown said...

I'll never win a song title contest, but don't worry -- I'll keep visiting your blog because you are a knitting goddess!

Jocerane said...

Nice shrug. I love the color!
I'm french, but I lived in Beaver Falls during my teens; So I've been to Cleveland!

Sourire11 said...

That's a great idea for a contest! How fun. I'm not going to be very good at it, though since I don't know very many songs...

nice shrug, btw!

Olga said...

Your shrug looks perfect! And your intarsia squares...what a great way to alternate colors. Your contest, well, that's one I'm never going to win. But, I may just subscribe to that podcast!

Rachel said...

Nice job on the shrug, and good for you to learn intarsia! I've never done it myself, either, and I was wondering how hard it was for first-timers. Nice work!