Friday, August 10, 2007

Enough is Enough

I have felt really bad that my mother's shawl, which was supposed to be finished for her birthday on June 26th, has been lying around in a shameful unblocked state. First I completely underestimated how long it would take me to finish this shawl. Just because I finished a Shetland Triangle in sport weight yarn on size 6 needles in two weeks, does not mean I can finish and Icarus in lace weight yarn on size 3 needles in four weeks! Sheesh! Then I spent a while trying to figure out how I was going to block it in my impaired state. Luckily, my mother is one of those kind, generous and patient mothers who is thrilled that I am knitting her something, no matter when she gets it. I'm so fortunate!

I'm still hobbling around because of my ankle, so I got DNA to help me soak the shawl in Eucalan and squeeze out the excess water. Then we pinned it to the bed and let it dry.


Vital stats:
Pattern: Icarus by Miriam Felton from Interweave Knits Summer 2006
Yarn: JaggerSpun Zephyr, 2-1 oz. balls
Color: Basil
Needles: size 3
Modifications: I'll pretend that I intentionally substituted purls for the knits between the yarnovers on the "feather" part of the shawl.

This shawl should be flying it's way to my mother in NC tomorrow.

I have to admit that I like it so much I was almost tempted to keep it. I guess I'll just have to knit one for myself next year.

5 comments:

Olga said...

Aww, you're such a good daughter to send that beautiful shawl to your mom! It's really lovely work (and yes, those purls are design mods).

allie said...

wow, so beautiful. Your mom is going to love it!

Brenda said...

Well done! It is beautiful! If you always did a purl, it's a design mod.

Did you see Kirsten's Icarus at Through the Loops last week? She used Malabrigo laceweight, and it is also a great yarn for that shawl, if you want to knit one for yourself. I have some to do that exact thing. It is really soft yarn. And the colors are rich.

Sourire11 said...

Beautiful!!! I'm sure your mom will think it was totally worth the wait.

hope your ankle is back to 100% soon.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Congrats!